The Turquoise Thistle
- Telephone 0131 556 5577
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.45pm.
- Average price £16.50 (lunch); £16.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.hiedinburgh.co.uk
Contemporary bistro with a simple, yet well-executed, menu.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Within the four-star Indigo Hotel, Turquoise Thistle is a contemporary bistro full of everything you might expect from a place with the word 'turquoise' in its name: aptly-coloured stags head and framed thistle prints. Some classic dishes are confidently served up here, with starters including garlic bread and chicken liver pate and mains like beer-battered pollock and grilled Scottish salmon. Where it truly succeeds is in its grill menu: the 35-day-aged Buccleuch sirloin steak is cooked to exact specifications, accompanied superbly by seasonal wild mushrooms, while the Cajun chicken breast burger on a ciabatta bun is a lighter yet flavoursome option. The menu is simple yet well-executed, the service attentive and friendly and the décor chic yet unfussy. It’s a good place for New Town lunch or even late night whisky: the bar has a fine selection.
- High point: Good choice on the grill menu
- Low point: Starters are a little heavy
- Notable dish: Buccleuch sirloin steak
- Private dining: 8–10
- No. overnight rooms: 60
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: May 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle