The Turquoise Thistle
Contemporary bistro with a simple, yet well-executed, menu.
In a New Town pocket populated by upmarket venues it can be tough for hotel restaurants to stand out. The Turquoise Thistle, part of the four-star Hotel Indigo, gives it a good go with the help of eye-catching planters outside its entrance, a streamlined new menu and some clever zoning (additional to the main restaurant is a snug and bar area, adding intimacy to the space). Dishes will appeal to guests who want the convenience of being able to mosey down from their rooms and tuck into traditional burgers, fish and chips and veggie risotto, as well as city types in pursuit of a well-priced dinner. The mac and cheese beef burger is a highlight – its juicy patty moistened by gooey pasta is big on both calories and flavour – while those with a sweet tooth won’t be disappointed by the peanut butter brownie. You’ll get more inventive options elsewhere in Edinburgh, but for comfort food and carbs, The Turquoise Thistle serves up the goods.
- High point: Handy central location
- Low point: No music in the snug when football is on
- Notable dish: Mac and cheese beef burger
- Private dining: 8–10
- No. overnight rooms: 60
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: May 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle