- Telephone 0131 629 5509
- Opening times 11am–1am.
- Seasonal times Open late during the Festival and at Christmas.
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–midnight; Thu–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon 5–10pm; Tue–Sun noon–10pm.
- Website woodlandcreaturesleith.co.uk
Under new ownership and with a fresh look, Woodland Creatures reinstates itself as one of Leith Walk’s finest comfort food, craft ale and live music establishments.
Call off the search party, we’ve found Edinburgh’s best mac and cheese. (Probably.) It comes laced with bacon, chorizo, haggis or black pudding with enough stringy mozzarella to create the most Instagrammable cheese pull – if you’re of that ilk. In comparison, the slightly dry beef burger comprised off too-thin patties and an equally okay flatbread take a back seat. Though finally, here's an eatery that layers their nachos properly and isn’t shy on the toppings – hallelujah! Local hipsters typically wash these down with craft beers, perhaps from the popular Beavertown tap, or sip on a cocktail. The coupe of Pickerings Gin, lemon and homemade earl grey syrup, shaken up with egg white, is a liquidised lemon meringue pie. With reggae and funk tunes throughout the week, escalating into electro dubstep come Saturday nights, there’s an addictive energy about the place. When the unpretentious exposed brick and wood furnished bar bustles, you’ll be reluctant to leave. So, best to grab a table on the Leith walk kerb or nip out back through the Narnia wardrobe for a breath of fresh air before diving back in.
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Week days: soul / reggae / funk, weekends: trap / dubstep / electronic
- Live entertainment: Every other Wednesday open mic nights, and regular slam poetry/ other live music all in sound proofed back room
- Capacity: 120 (22 outdoors)
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2013 (taken over in 2018)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best pubs and bars in Edinburgh22 May 2019
Top places to grab a beer, gin or cocktail in Scotland's capital city
Edinburgh's bar scene continues to thrive, serving up a mighty array of options for the discerning drinker – you're never far from a world-class cocktail, a cult craft beer and exactly the right ambience to suit your mood. All this choice extends well…
Best pubs and bars around Edinburgh's Leith Walk and Easter Road31 May 2018
Crawl your way down this bustling boulevard to Edinburgh's hippest northern hotspot
Take a crawl around the Walk and you'll be well watered from top to toe with an ever-expanding collection of bars that have exploded onto one of Edinburgh's most happening streets, with plenty of places to eat in between.
Best for beer gardens in Edinburgh28 Apr 2017
Our top picks for where to catch some rays with a pint in hand
On those cherished days when the sun has got his hat on and the mercury nudges 'taps aff', make a beeline for one of Edinburgh's beer gardens. Or, whatever the weather, just wear a coat and pretend you're in Munich. Barrelhouse Bar & Grill This…