- Telephone 0131 556 6776
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2pm, 5.30–11.30pm.
- Average price (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.vinyasaedinburgh.co.uk
Upmarket Indian bistro offering a refined dining experience.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Relatively upmarket but unstuffy, Vinyasa feels more relaxed bistro than traditional curry house. Tasteful, contemporary décor and refined renditions of familiar dishes, served in restrained portion sizes, make for a restaurant better suited to date night than lads’ night out. Shatkora lamb combines Bangladeshi pickle with green chilli to create complex sour, pickle flavours and not just heat. The majority of the menu is comfortably familiar but the standard of cooking takes even basic dishes to another level. Pakora are noticeably crisper and less oily than those frequently found elsewhere, whilst tarka dhal is sensitively spiced, providing just enough lift to the earthy lentils. The forgettable desserts are the only low point but these can easily be skipped and are more than compensated for by the eager, upbeat service. There's also a good-value lunch menu and it’s worth checking the website for frequent special offers.
- High point: Vibrant, fresh, well-executed classic dishes
- Low point: Dull desserts
- Notable dish: Shatkora lamb
- Delivery: £1.50 to £2.50 depending on distance
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian pop
- Capacity: 74
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle