- Telephone 0131 225 6220
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm.
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
Pan-Asian street food in a club-like environment with dedicated vegetarian and gluten-free menus.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Bar Soba’s dining space lies down a set of stairs beneath its buzzy cocktail bar. There’s a nightclub vibe with dim lighting and dance music on the decks, while its interior reflects an eclectic mix of styles – exposed light bulbs, neon and metal juxtaposed with Georgian panelling. Alongside the long communal benches, there are cosier touches such as leather armchairs to inject warmth into the space. The eclecticism extends to what’s on the plate, with a selection of pan-Asian street food including dedicated vegetarian and gluten-free menus. The sharing platter contains a broad mix of deep-fried delicacies – spring rolls are dainty and satisfyingly brittle, the chicken satay is lush and the sweetcorn and coconut fritters are crunchy with subtle hints of spice. Thai fish’n’chips is fusion incarnate, with seabass fillet merged with a flavoursome blend of prawns and lime leaf in a light tempura batter. Accompanied by chilli fries and a refreshing mango salad, the fish’s natural delicacy remains intact and the combination of crisp skin and rich prawn delivers a truly standout dish.
- High point: Everything freshly prepared on site
- Low point: Not ideal for a quiet romantic meal
- Notable dish: Thai fish'n'chips
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Disco / house
- Live entertainment: There's a DJ on alternative nights
- Capacity: 58
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
2 for 1 on all main courses at Bar Soba
If the January blues are getting you down, we have just the thing to get you out of your funk. Our friends over at Bar Soba are offering readers 2 for 1 on all main courses throughout the month, thanks to their cracking January sale.
Street food bursts out from its exotic enclave in Glasgow and Edinburgh2 Apr 2015
Enjoy casual pan-Asian dining at restaurants including Bar Soba, Tuk Tuk and The Hanoi Bike Shop
From the crowded streets of Cambodia to the hustling alleys of Singapore, street food is an everyday occurrence for millions of people. Something that’s so mundane (to them) as a pandan pudding in Kuala Lumpur or a kimbap in Seoul suddenly becomes…