- Telephone 0131 225 6220
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm.
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
Pan-Asian street food in a club-like environment with dedicated vegetarian and gluten-free menus.
No two trips to Bar Soba are the same. Visit during quieter lunchtime periods for a chance to admire the tasteful décor; grab a bar stool early evening and enjoy a drink while sampling the street food menu; sit downstairs in a group to get stuck into a pan-Asian feast; or pop in at the start of a night out to catch Bar Soba at peak party time. The small plates are ideal for sharing and the massaman beef curry and teriyaki noodles highlight a strong South-East Asian influence. Though there’s obvious attention to detail and some interesting flavour combinations, it’s hard not to feel like there’s a busy kitchen downstairs juggling too many dishes at once. Yet food is only half the story. Cocktails come tall, straight, shaken or by the bucket and are in keeping with the Asian theme. The Jangshi Zombie sports four different types of delicious rum and even the bartenders will tell you that two’s enough. DJs most weekends add to a lively pre-night-out buzz, but die-hard fans of pan-Asian food may conclude Bar Soba aims to be a bar haunt rather than an authentic culinary experience.
- High point: Popular with a younger crowd
- Low point: Popular with a younger crowd!
- Notable dish: Hot smoked salmon and mango Indonesian taco
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: House music
- Live entertainment: There's a DJ on alternative nights
- Capacity: 88
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Street food bursts out from its exotic enclave in Glasgow and Edinburgh2 Apr 2015
Enjoy casual pan-Asian dining at restaurants including Bar Soba, Tuk Tuk and The Hanoi Bike Shop
From the crowded streets of Cambodia to the hustling alleys of Singapore, street food is an everyday occurrence for millions of people. Something that’s so mundane (to them) as a pandan pudding in Kuala Lumpur or a kimbap in Seoul suddenly becomes…