The Blue Bear
Superlative café serving up the best in brunch and much more.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
How do you like your eggs? The Blue Bear likes them as every imaginable permutation of eggs benedict. Theirs are an art form, the Royale notable in particular for its generous serving of smoked salmon and smooth hollandaise. It doesn’t stop there: the breakfast/brunch menu (served all day) features full breakfasts through to homemade granola and porridge, and everything in between; waffles with bacon and maple syrup tick the salty-sweet box with aplomb. Lunches include soups, salads, stovies, and a mountainous bowl of chilli nachos as well as light bites and sharing plates. All the baking is done in-house, such as carrot cake rich in walnuts and juicy sultanas. There’s a kids’ menu, a cocktail menu, Steampunk coffee and, to top it all, you can have a game of table tennis downstairs. If you're looking for an ideal spot for Sunday brunch, you might never want to leave.
- High point: Consistently brilliant food, incredibly friendly service
- Low point: Can get very busy so arrive early to secure a table
- Notable dish: Eggs Royale
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Various
- Capacity: 46 (10 outside)
- Largest group: 18–20
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6 including prosecco
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle