- Telephone 0131 667 7010
- Opening times Tue–Sat noon–2pm & 5.30–9.15pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: open 7 days
- Food served Tue–Sun noon–2pm, 5.30–9pm, closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 5.30–6.45pm.
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.fieldrestaurant.co.uk
Top-bracket contemporary Scottish cooking with a playful heart at very reasonable prices, served in a simple Southside dining room.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If you’re happy to forgo the faff of wine waiters and whatnot, you’ll find fine dining for a fraction at Field (if it did silver service, there’d be talk of Michelin stars). Its stage is simply set with straightforward surrounds: a front room-feel with a big black cow on one wall, black flock on the other; the service is pro; the bread warm; the wine list not marked up past reason. Pre-theatre it’s a steal, à la carte still a quality deal. Scottish larder showcased, the menu reads like a joy – one of those from which you’d be happy having anything. There are no passengers, instead purple potatoes, celeriac purée, harissa mayo, sage jus… from sea bass to baby beets, stars and support share spotlights. It’s classy, composed, contemporary cooking – skilful not showboating, playfully post-modern: artichoke cheesecake, venison rissole, goat’s cheese beignets, chicken confit ravioli. Continue: citrus éclair with blood orange sorbet, rhubarb and custard mille-feuille with Bird’s custard ice cream: every element excels, to the end.
- High point: Michelin star-quality for much less
- Low point: You'll have to book, even on weekdays
- Notable dish: Crispy Venison Rissole, Celeriac Puree, Pickled Shimeji Mushrooms, Cassis Jus
Opened in January 2013, Field is a restaurant all about the quality of local, seasonal produce. Proud to be Scottish and showcase our country’s larder, the menus reflect our region’s gastronomic heritage.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Children's portions, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 22
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Reviews & features
Where to eat: new and notable restaurants for the Edinburgh Festival 201330 Jul 2013
Blackfriars, Field and The Scran & Scallie are among this year's unmissable foodie highlights
Blackfriars 57–61 Blackfriars Street, Old Town, 0131 558 8684, blackfriarsedinburgh.co.uk There’s more than a touch of art school hipness about this stripped-back bar and neighbouring restaurant where a former sous chef to Martin Wishart cooks robust…