Castello Coffee Co
- Telephone 0131 225 9780
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–6pm; Sat 8.30am–6pm; Sun 10am–6pm.
- Average price Soup & sandwich deal (soup £1.50 when purchased together)
Neat and compact, this coffee lover’s bolthole delivers lovingly prepared snacks and cakes in the heart of Edinburgh’s shopping district.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Tucked away at the pedestrian end of Castle Street, Castello is a popular café with tourists, shoppers and coffee purists alike. The interior is compact and bijou, with just enough room for a couple of tables, while the alfresco space possesses one of Edinburgh’s finest castle views. Owner Sandro’s vegetarian credentials are evident in the high proportion of meat-free soups, wraps and filled croissants. Pesto, basil and goat’s cheese focaccia is fresh and surprisingly light. Cakes and pastries are locally sourced, and the chocolate brownie is particularly moist and luscious. The vibe is easy going, but when it comes to the production of that cup of joe, things are taken extremely seriously.
- High point: Independent and with a passion for keeping it local
- Low point: No toilet
- Notable dish: Pesto and goat’s cheese focaccia
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Eclectic rock and pop
- Capacity: 14 (16 outdoors)
- Open since: 2012