- Telephone 0131 225 5755
- Seasonal times Open Sun during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times 5–6.45pm Mon–Sat
- Average price 3 mezze for £9.95 (Mon–Sat noon–4.45pm); £12 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95 (3 mezze and dessert)
- Website www.yenirestaurant.com
Freshly cooked hot and cold mezze dishes from Turkey, Greece, Lebanon and Italy.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This stylish family-run restaurant conjures up the flavours of the Mediterranean and Middle-East through freshly cooked hot and cold mezze dishes from Turkey, Greece, Lebanon and Italy. The food here is a mixture of home cooking from owner Ruya’s grandmother’s recipes, and the contemporary creations of her chef and husband Stuart. Diners are encouraged to share dips, salads, grilled meats and stuffed pastries, such as borek (fried filo pastry rolls stuffed with feta cheese and herbs). Banquet meals include the very popular Yeni Sofrasi which adds a couple of mains to the mezze selection – a tender chicken kebab and Iskender, their version of the famous Turkish kebab shop dish of chopped pitta bread topped with garlic yoghurt and tasty strips of lamb, covered in herby tomato sauce. If you can manage it, squeeze in a syrupy chocolate baklava for good measure.
- High point: The banquet meals
- Low point: Authentic dishes work best
- Notable dish: Iskender
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle