- Telephone 0131 225 5755
- Seasonal times Open Sun during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–6.45pm
- Average price £22 (lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.95 (3 mezze and dessert)
- Website www.yenirestaurant.com
Traditional and contemporary mezze from Turkey, Greece, Lebanon and Italy.
Set unobtrusively above street level, you could easily overlook this Mediterranean mezze spot but it’s well worth following the steady stream of customers climbing the stairs. There’s a sleek, professional air about the place, with staff well-informed on the extensive menu and wine list. With dishes from Italy, Greece, Lebanon and Turkey, the menu comfortably straddles Europe, western Asia and the Middle East, with particularly good choices for vegetarians. The owner has kept down the prices of lunch and pre-theatre deals and the close location to the shops of Princes and George streets make this a great place to bag a reasonably priced lunch or post-shopping dinner. Try their speciality Arabic flatbread wraps or dine like a sultan with one of the house banquets.
- High point: Great options for most dietary requirements
- Low point: If you can't climb the steps, you'll have to pass
- Notable dish: Yeni iskender: chopped pitta bread topped with garlic yoghurt, thin strips of meat, finished with a tomato and herb sauce and hot butter
An intimate meze bar in Edinburgh's well-heeled new town, Yeni restaurant offers a mix of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes. Boasting high ceilings and streams of natural light, the Yeni dining room features bohemian prints, fresh flowers and swathes of polished wood. Along with traditional meze sharing dishes, enjoy eastern-style desserts and choose from the accomplished wine stock.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle