IJ Mellis Cheesemonger and Cheese Lounge
- Telephone 0131 447 8889
- Opening times Mon–Fri 9.30am–6pm; Sat 9am–6pm; Sun noon–5pm.
- Food served Mon–Wed 9.30–7pm; Thu–Sat 9.30–9pm; Sun 11am–5.30pm.
- Website www.mellischeese.co.uk
Scotland's most established cheesemonger has six shops across the country, mostly clustered around Edinburgh. Morningside's branch features a fantastic 'cheese lounge' where customers can graze on cheese and charcuterie, adding a bottle of wine from the shelf for an incredibly reasonable corkage charge,
In the shop you'll find a huge range of British and continental cheeses as well as handy and luxurious little accompaniments, from olive oil to oatcakes, local bread to sausages and bacon (for the ultimate brunch, presumably). Each shop has the same air of old-fashioned know-how, and is happy to let you try a few cheeses before committing yourself – though it's not uncommon to somehow find yourself leaving with a slice of each.
Keeping Edinburgh fromage lovers in farmhouse cheeses for over 20 years, IJ Mellis has introduced a 'cheese lounge' to its Morningside branch. At the rear of the old-fashioned shop lies a distinctly French-styled salon complete with marble table-tops, pretty tiles and old LPs playing on the turntable. Separated from the retail space by a gold-embellished glass partition, diners enjoy a bird’s-eye view of the comings and goings beyond without having to endure the low temperatures required to keep the lovely cheeses at their aromatic best. The concise menu includes small and larger bites – luxury scotch eggs, French onion soup, cassoulet and the most indulgent of cheese toasties; a crunchy sourdough oozing with Keen’s cheddar which packs a punchy mustard kick. So, go on, indulge yourself and while away an afternoon discussing Sartre over a bottle of organic wine and one of their delicious cheese boards.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic selection of old LP's
- Live entertainment: Wine and cheese tastings, fondu nights etc.
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £14 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.