Jacob Artisan Bakery
- Telephone 0131 337 1791
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–3pm; Sat/Sun 9am–3pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch)
- Website www.jacobsbakery.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Having initially carved out a reputation producing skilfully crafted pastries, tarts and gateaux – including Hungarian-style cookies inspired by his wife Erika – Jacob Philip now has a coffee house and bakery bearing his name. And while the frangipane tarts and cinnamon buns are still a major draw, he hasn’t rested on his laurels, instead expanding the menu into a fulsome, day-round offering. Pies, stews and salads complement a range of hot and cold sandwiches made with their own bread, including a particularly time-intensive, long-fermented sourdough that works wonders as part of a cured smoked ham and Emmental toastie.
- High point: That toastie
- Low point: Those calories
- Delivery: Offices nearby.
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2012