- Telephone 07510 861842
- Opening times Mon–Wed 3–9pm; Thu–Sat midday–10pm; Sun midday–8pm.
- Food served Mon & Wed–Fri 5–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–9pm. Closed Tue.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.yellowbench.co.uk
Lively neighbourhood restaurant with an arty vibe, serving an interesting selection of Polish and European fusion food.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Named after the bright bench outside, this blink-and-you’ll-miss-it Polish diner feels like a proper neighbourhood restaurant. Busy with regulars, it has the homely intimacy of eating out in someone’s living room. The menu has undergone a revamp, so gone are the crêpes and weekday lunchtime opening, with the focus now on a concise menu of traditional Polish favourites with a pan-European twist. The dish that most embodies this approach is the fried pierogi (filled Polish dumplings) stuffed with haggis. There are nods to French, Hungarian and Greek cuisine and, depending on the specials, you might have pierogi with a Russian or Italian filling. The food tends towards the hearty, with rich slow-cooked stews and substantial soups, and the flavours are big too. Staff are friendly, helpfully guiding diners through what could be unfamiliar culinary territory, providing informative suggestions on what to try.
- High point: A good introduction to Polish food
- Low point: There's just one pudding of the day
- Notable dish: Pierogi
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 22
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012
- BYOB: £1 for beer, £3 bottle of wine corkage
Leith Conversation Cafes. Join In! Speak Out! Be Inspired!
We host three friendly conversation groups in three different local cafes every week. Our conversations are an opportunity for people who have moved here from overseas to: • meet others they might not usually meet • expand their language skills • share stories, experiences and ideas • develop new insights…
Mon 30 Jan
Prices to be confirmed / 07510 861842
Are you a thinker or feeler?