The Roamin' Nose
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 629 3135
- Seasonal times Festival: open later
- Food served Wed–Fri 4–10pm; Sat 11.30am–10pm; Sun 10.30am–9pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £19 (lunch); £20.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.theroaminnose.com
Everything you could possibly wish for in a neighbourhood café and bistro – delicious food, great atmosphere and a warm welcome.
This licensed neighbourhood café and bistro provides an informal setting for friends and family to gather, share and enjoy good Italian food and drink. Begin with small bites and sharing boards before indulging in homemade pastas, seafood, meat and veggie evening meals. The venison steak, a popular choice with regulars, arrives cooked exactly as ordered: chargrilled on the outside, but deliciously rare on the inside, on a bed of sautéed savoy cabbage with smooth herby beetroot mash and roasted carrots. For dessert, an Italian pear cake delivers a moist buttery sponge oozing with amaretto and zesty orange. Here, the whole experience is considered; tables are well spaced, bookings are deliberately staggered, and staff are warm and attentive. While the menu is limited for those with special dietary requirements, if you can book ahead, they will happily accommodate your needs. Note that lunches are only served at the weekend.
- High point: Accommodating and engaging staff
- Low point: Only open for lunch at the weekend
- Notable dish: Grilled venison haunch steak
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, soul, Scottish
- Capacity: 30 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £21 per bottle