The Roamin' Nose
- Telephone 0131 629 3135
- Seasonal times Festival: open later
- Food served Wed–Fri 4–10pm; Sat 11.30am–10pm; Sun 10.30am–9pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £19 (lunch); £20.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.theroaminnose.com
Everything you could possibly wish for in a neighbourhood café and bistro – delicious food, great atmosphere and a warm welcome.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This neighbourhood café and bistro tries to do it all and pretty much succeeds. Daytimes are busy with locals and office workers tucking into brunch or a lunch menu of pasta, warm salads, burgers and Italian bites including homemade pesto and tapenade, cured meats and cheeses. Come evening, the kitchen steps up a gear to produce a brief but brilliant choice of fish, meat, burger and vegetarian dishes, like risotto with beetroot, orange zest and gorgonzola; or prawns, mussels and clams in a sweet, boozy broth of garlic, herbs, onion, wine and Disaronno. It’s a bustling family-friendly place overseen by an engaging and attentive staff. Add in a smart but affordable list of good Italian wines alongside a wide choice of bottled beers, cocktails and liqueurs and you’ve got an irresistible neighbourhood eatery. Dunroamin? You will be once you’ve dined here.
- High point: Peerless neighbourhood dining
- Low point: The brief dinner menu leaves little choice for vegetarians
- Notable dish: Gameroni, cozze e vongole in brodetto
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, soul, Scottish
- Capacity: 30 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £21 per bottle