- Telephone 0141 332 7304
- Bar open Sun–Fri 5pm–midnight; Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Fri 5pm–10pm; Sat noon–10pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Website www.broadcastglasgow.com
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
Closed in 2012, the Captain's Rest is much missed, as a bar and especially as a gig venue. But its effective successor Broadcast – situated much more centrally, practically eyeball-to-eyeball with nearest rival Nice 'n' Sleazy – promises to be just as cherished in time. Owners PCL, one of Scotland’s biggest concert promoters, have sagely let the kitchen out as a franchise, run by Sean Toner – previously at Crabshakk and many other Glasgow eateries before that. Realistic about the limited range of demand for good food on Sauchiehall St, he’s doing ambitious things within the narrow confines of pub grub – pizzas with Mediterranean toppings (up to two-feet large), homemade burgers from high-quality Andrew Reid beef and healthy, zesty salads. Most of the food and drink will be wolfed down pre or post gig but it may in time become as hot a ticket as the near-nightly shows downstairs.
- High point: Glasgow can never have too many music bars …
- Low point: but it's still not the Captain's Rest
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live gigs in basement: rock, pop, indie, etc
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £11 per bottle
There are 7 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Brooklyn contemporary punk outfit signed to Tough Love Records.
The gravelly-voiced singer and guitarist plays country songs.
Former frontwoman of The Fiery Furnaces, and subject of Franz Ferdinand's 'Eleanor Put Your Boots On', with an idiosyncratic approach to her music.
Slam-style poetry devoid of pretension. Ages 15+.
Thu 25 Feb
£4 / 0141 332 7304
Loud Poet's second birthday, To celebrate, there's spoken word talent from across Britain including Sam Small, Jenny Lindsay of Rally & Broad, Sara Hirsch, previous UK slam champion and YouTube sensation Mark Grist. Plus the Loud Poets fearsome foursome: Katie Ailes, Kevin Mclean, Doug Garry and Catherine Wilson.
Scuzz TV Presents: UK Throwdown 2016 Feat. Press To Meco, Allusondrugs & Max Raptor
A triple bill of live entertainment from rock-acts, Press To Meco, Allusondrugs and Max Raptor.
Tue 23 Feb
Detroit rock animals who promise 'the perfect blend of fuckery, rock'n'roll, and all round good times.'
Fri 26 Feb
Times & prices to be confirmed / 0141 332 7304