The Mash Tun
- Telephone 0131 661 3896
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat/Sun 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–9pm.
- Website www.mashtunedinburgh.co.uk
Unpretentious neighbourhood sports pub with good beer, good grub, and a good pub quiz.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
As a sports bar, the Mash Tun can sometimes be overlooked. That's a pity because it's actually a great neighbourhood bar with a friendly vibe and good pub grub. The drinks menu is expansive, including almost two dozen malt whiskies from all over Scotland and around a dozen drinkable wines, all available by the glass or bottle. The beers, all on draught, are a mix of classic and craft. The burgers are some of the best to be found on this side of Edinburgh. Some might say the best aspect is the deals; there is one every night (and day, if you count breakfast and lunch deals), ranging from 2-4-1 pizzas on the quiz night to a Sunday roast for £10. The space itself is large and can feel kind of empty at times; however sporting events always bring a crowd, especially in the summer when there is seating outside.
- High point: Burgers, and watching Wimbledon in the summer
- Low point: Table service pretty much non-existent
- Notable dish: The sloppy joe burger
- Delivery: via Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mix of classics and high velocity rock anthems
- Capacity: 65 seated, 120 standing
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle