Stack Dim Sum Bar
- Telephone 0131 553 7330
- Food served Thu–Tue noon–9.30pm. Closed Wed.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
Arguably the best dim sum joint in Edinburgh, Stack is an unassuming wee joint that's well worth a detour.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Just off Leith Walk’s main drag, Stack Dim Sum Bar is an unassuming wee joint, but well worth a detour. Stack offers an array of boldly flavoured steamed or fried dim sum, all cooked to order. The char siu bun is a delightful example of its form, light and pappy on the outside with sweet, melting pork innards. Each wobbly, gelatinous bite of the radish slice is offset by a fiercely spicy sauce, while the red bean paste trio is a juxtaposition of crisp-fried exterior and delectably sweet bean paste interior. And don’t think about giving the sensational chicken claws with black pepper a miss: slow braised to a tender, treacly morsel that’s lip-smacking and complex. Chive dumplings suffer from a brash porky taste, but it’s a rare slip. If sharing’s not your bag, there’s larger stir-fried noodle dishes to choose from, but that feels like a missed trick: the dim sum offer a multitude of enticing mouthfuls, coaxing you to eat till your zipper bursts.
- High point: So many tastes, so many textures, so so good
- Low point: Not a location to head to if dieting
- Notable dish: Braised chicken claw with black pepper
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £16.40 per bottle