Stack Dim Sum Bar
- Telephone 0131 553 7330
- Food served Thu–Tue noon–9.30pm. Closed Wed.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
Arguably the best dim sum joint in Edinburgh.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Just off Leith Walk’s main drag, Stack Dim Sum Bar is an unassuming wee joint, but well worth a detour. Stack offers an array of boldly flavoured steamed or fried dim sum, all cooked to order. The char siu bun is a delightful example of its form, light and pappy on the outside with sweet, melting pork innards. Each wobbly, gelatinous bite of the radish slice is offset by a fiercely spicy sauce, while the red bean paste trio is a juxtaposition of crisp-fried exterior and delectably sweet bean paste interior. And don’t think about giving the sensational chicken claws with black pepper a miss: slow braised to a tender, treacly morsel that’s lip-smacking and complex. Chive dumplings suffer from a brash porky taste, but it’s a rare slip. If sharing’s not your bag, there’s larger stir-fried noodle dishes to choose from, but that feels like a missed trick: the dim sum offer a multitude of enticing mouthfuls, coaxing you to eat till your zipper bursts.
- High point: So many tastes, so many textures, so so good
- Low point: Not a location to head to if dieting
- Notable dish: Braised chicken claw with black pepper
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £16.40 per bottle