- Telephone 0131 663 1412
- Opening times Mon–Thu 9am–midnight; Fri/Sat 9am–1am; Sun 9am–midnight.
- Seasonal times Closed Christmas
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–9pm
- Average price £10 for two main courses (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website thepapermill-lasswade.com
The Papermill’s name and wood-themed decor salutes Lasswade’s lost paper-making industry, but this former factory has turned a new leaf as an elegant, popular bar, café and restaurant with terrace overlooking the River Esk. The A3 menu card, proclaiming a philosophy of ‘eat local, eat more, pay less’, entices readers with breakfast, lunch and dinner, while a 20-page book reveals wines, beers, spirits and mocktails. Lunch of cock-a-leekie terrine, prune and vanilla chutney with crispy leeks is artful and colourful, while lamb’s liver with parmentier potatoes is perfectly sautéed, with a soft, pâté core and caramelised crust. Consistency is lacking, however, for brittle rice grains let down Musselburgh wild garlic risotto with poached hen’s egg. A pud of chilled chocolate mousse, cocoa nibs, chocolate crispy and espresso ice-cream, however, is sensational both in flavour and textural contrast. So, overall, bravo.
- High point: A boon for Lasswade, with food (mostly) as impressive as the stylish setting
- Low point: Dishes a bit mixed to give a wholehearted recommendation (yet)
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Live entertainment: It's coming …
- Capacity: 140
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle