The Marshmallow Lady
- Telephone 07843 699790
- Opening times Wed–Sun noon–7pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Food served Wed–Sat noon–6pm. Closed Sun–Tue.
- Average price £3 (lunch)
- Website www.burghbakes.com
After furrowing a sweet and trailblazing path for herself as Edinburgh's first luxury marshmallow maker, Nicole Roberts took the plunge and opened a dedicate marshmallow shop and café in July 2012. Serving locally-made artisan bread and cake, soup and, of course, her own creations in every imaginable colour, combination and flavour, she's also probably the only person in town to serve s'mores, and to sell full-sized marshmallow cakes. The café and shop itself is bright and pretty, decked out with pastel shelving and a crafty counter papered in 'Marshmallow Times' newsprint.
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
The Marshmallow Lady is part sweet kitchen, part apothecary and part craft fare. In a brightly decorated café with room for a dozen covers, the eponymous sweet treats line the walls in paper bags and jars labelled with the various flavours. The range on sale goes from simple raspberry to the more adventurous maple bacon or Innis & Gunn beer. There’s no other food on offer besides marshmallows to eat in or take away, but a range of quality hot chocolate will persuade customers to stay a while and peruse the local crafty arts on display or play the board games stacked on the shelves of recovered and restored furniture. Worth a pilgrimage for anyone with a sweet tooth and a sense of adventure.
- High point: Hot chocolate laced with raspberry marshmallows
- Low point: No other food on offer
- Delivery: Go through the website for delivery
- Provides: Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Old timey, Jonny Cash etc.
- Live entertainment: Fringe events and local
- Capacity: 20
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2012