Three Birds Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 229 3252
- Seasonal times During the Edinburgh Festival, open every day noon–4pm, 5–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Sat noon–4pm, 5–10pm, Sun noon–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.threebirds.co.uk
Deservedly popular, cosy neighbourhood bistro with an inspired menu.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This Bruntsfield bistro has a cosy, neighbourhood feel with space for just 36 diners, at a squeeze. Attracted by its eclectic cooking, full of big, bold flavours, locals soon beat a path to its door when it opened four years ago. Being busy and relatively pocket-sized means you’ll need to book even on a wet Tuesday night as well as at lunchtime due to the popular £10 two-course deal. There’s plenty of spice in the half dozen starters from chilli-fried chicken to pilpechuma spiced roast aubergine, while the slow-roasted pork belly main course is well matched with sweet chargrilled pineapple. Alternatively choose a big dish to share like the ‘3 birds & beasts’ platter, or pick from the two specials that change every few days. To wash all that down, there’s a compact wine list – all available by the glass, plus five craft beers.
- High point: The exuberant, bold, confident cooking
- Low point: Tables can feel a bit squished
- Notable dish: Spiced roast aubergines, ginger tomatoes, mozzarella, toasted pinenuts
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix of staff picks
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 22
- House wine: £15 (£9 for half litre carafe) per bottle