Three Birds Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 229 3252
- Bar open Mon noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Sat noon–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Food served Mon noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Sat 10am–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 10am–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Website www.threebirds.co.uk
Deservedly popular, cosy neighbourhood bistro with an inspired menu.
Neighbourhood restaurants are often known for being cosy, casual and friendly, but rarely adventurous. Three Birds in Bruntsfield happens to be all that, and more. The intimate dining room seats 36 and booking is essential, even on weeknights. Its popularity might have something to do with its inventive menu, quality ingredients, and attractive price point. The naturally gluten-free menu is peppered with international flavours and bolstered by a daily-changing specials board. A starter of pulled lamb shoulder with mole is subtly chocolatey and intensely spicy while roast cauliflower with tahini and pomegranate is fresh and delicate. A delicious fillet steak rendang, served with bone marrow satay, features on the mains beside cardamom-marinated prawns and crevettes with curried potatoes, and market fish with harissa butter. The global flavours continue with a coconut and ginger crème caramel and a rich chocolate brownie with smokey jalapeño ice-cream. With attentive, spot-on service and culinary flair, a meal at Three Birds negates the need to get your passport stamped anytime soon.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff Spotify playlists
- Capacity: 32
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £16 (£9 for half litre carafe) per bottle