Three Birds Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 229 3252
- Seasonal times During the Edinburgh Festival, open every day noon–4pm, 5–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Sat noon–4pm, 5–10pm, Sun noon–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.threebirds.co.uk
Deservedly popular, cosy neighbourhood bistro with an inspired menu.
Neighbourhood restaurants are often known for being cosy, casual and friendly, but rarely adventurous. Three Birds in Bruntsfield happens to be all that, and more. The intimate dining room seats 36 and booking is essential, even on weeknights. Its popularity might have something to do with its inventive menu, quality ingredients, and attractive price point. The naturally gluten-free menu is peppered with international flavours and bolstered by a daily-changing specials board. A starter of pulled lamb shoulder with mole is subtly chocolatey and intensely spicy while roast cauliflower with tahini and pomegranate is fresh and delicate. A delicious fillet steak rendang, served with bone marrow satay, features on the mains beside cardamom-marinated prawns and crevettes with curried potatoes, and market fish with harissa butter. The global flavours continue with a coconut and ginger crème caramel and a rich chocolate brownie with smokey jalapeño ice-cream. With attentive, spot-on service and culinary flair, a meal at Three Birds negates the need to get your passport stamped anytime soon.
- High point: Kids' menu with all the classics
- Low point: Trying to get a last-minute booking
- Notable dish: Generous sharing platters
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix of staff picks
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 22
- House wine: £15 (£9 for half litre carafe) per bottle