Three Birds Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 229 3252
- Bar open Mon noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Sat noon–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Food served Mon noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Sat 10am–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 10am–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Website www.threebirds.co.uk
Deservedly popular, cosy neighbourhood bistro with an inspired menu.
Bruntsfield’s Three Birds showcases local produce with inspired dishes influenced by around-the-world flavours, providing more adventurous options than those found in your standard neighbourhood bistro. Décor is simple and cosy: think cream walls, natural woods, blackboards. Inventive seasonal menus change quarterly, with weekly changing specials dishes are intelligent and interesting. Vegans and veggies are by no means an afterthought, with specials like black garlic roast aubergine with preserved lemon, sumac quinoa, cashew yoghurt, ginger dried tomatoes and roasted pistachios. To start, beautifully presented seared scallops, lifted by freshly squeezed lemon, arrive on a bed of velvety smooth truffled celeriac purée, providing textural contrast to crisp bacon shards. This whets the appetite for a hearty venison haunch main, served tenderly pink with delicious pulled pork rib, crispy shredded savoy, carrot and pea hash, all married together by a full-bodied sloe gin and berry jus. Half the dishes on the menu are shared with its sister restaurants, the Educated Flea and Apiary, with the remainder unique to each venue, and desserts are the same across all three.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff Spotify playlists
- Capacity: 32
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £16 (£9 for half litre carafe) per bottle