Three Birds Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 229 3252
- Seasonal times Festival noon–4pm, 5–10pm daily except Sun. Check website.
- Food served Mon noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Tue–Thu noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sat 10am–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 10am–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Website www.threebirds.co.uk
Deservedly popular, cosy neighbourhood bistro with an eclectic menu.
Three Birds is the original venue in a small chain that’s been making a quiet splash on the Edinburgh dining scene these past few years. Their USP is a strong line in mid-level neighbourhood dining with a core of cheerful informality and a generous twist of playfulness. Seasonally changing menus run to an unformulaic kind of formula, inviting every flavour to the party and encouraging mingling. Caribbean chicken with a coconut and mango salad might, for example, share a table with homemade haggis, poached eggs and sriracha hollandaise. Imaginative combos feature across many dishes, like brown butter miso aioli supplying umami depth to clam fritters, or pistachio and chilli ice-cream lending a cooling factor to a warm beetroot and carrot cake. With lots of flavours vying for attention, it’s ironic that it occasionally feels like there’s something missing, but a pinch of salt or a squeeze of lemon usually sorts that out. And it’s clear why Three Birds has won it’s many regulars; it’s refreshing to find somewhere that has so much fun playing with its food.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Various
- Live entertainment: Occasional cheese and wine tastings or taster menus for charity
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £19 (£10 for 500ml carafe) per bottle