Colourful, lively bar popular with students and workers alike for its good craic and great cocktails.
The Blackbird offers cocktails, beers and casual dining in a laid-back, contemporary setting. The cocktail list is extensive with lots of fruit flavours and high-end spirits. Food-wise the beef burger is dense and comes with lots of hot, salty shoestring fries while small plates and desserts show flair. Sticky chicken wings with pomegranate molasses (complete with finger bowl) will satisfy hungry diners, while orange crème brûlée and polenta cake are both worth saving space for. There are no pre-theatre deals but the Blackbird still attracts a crowd from the King’s Theatre as well as plenty of Tollcross and Bruntsfield regulars. The popular beer garden is a real highlight and it's open all year round for hardier souls.
- Private dining: 35 in dining section.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: pop/urban/chart playlist
- Capacity: 60 (plus 60 in garden)
- Largest group: 64
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £16 per bottle