Morblas Seafood anfd Grill
- Telephone 0141 204 5506
- Bar open 11am – 11pm
- Food served 6pm–9.30pm
- Average price £25 (set evening meal)
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Morblas – derived from the Gaelic words for ‘great’ and ‘taste’ – is located in the Glasgow Hilton, a hotel situated beside a distinctly unglamorous stretch of motorway. However, things greatly improve once inside as you stroll through the impressive lobby with polished marble floors and into the restaurant decorated in warm, neutral colours. A five-course buffet priced £25, on trial at the time of review, replaces an à la carte menu, but there is still a lot of good food on offer. Start with the soup before moving on to the starters which include roll-mop herring, prawn cocktail and prosciutto with onion. Salads in a buffet may be in danger of losing the fight against freshness, yet there is an appealing variety – mozzarella and tomato, asparagus with parmesan shavings, grated carrot and raisins. Similarly, there is plenty of choice in the mains ranging from vegetable tagine, chicken fricassee, steak and fish. Desserts are beautifully presented creations: the delicate slice of white chocolate mousse is fantastically rich. A cheese plate awaits those whose hunger has not yet be satisfied.
- High point: Five courses!
- Low point: A buffet may not be to everyone’s taste.
- No. overnight rooms: 317
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Post-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £22.50 per bottle