Söderberg Peter's Yard Stockbridge
- Telephone 0131 332 2901
- Food served Mon–Thu 8am–6pm; Fri 8am–9pm; Sat/Sun 9am–9pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.soderberg.uk
Stockbridge-based Scandinavian artisanal bakery, producing traditional Swedish goods and sourdough pizza using organic ingredients.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With all things Scandinavian on trend, Söderberg Peter’s Yard is giving the people of Edinburgh a taste of Swedish artisanal baking. The Stockbridge branch (additional outlets can be found at Quartermile and Queensferry Street) is a haven for local residents looking for quiet respite, a bite to eat and excellent coffee. Owner Peter Ljungquist oversees the production of an array of traditional handmade goods from their bakery every day, featuring their signature kardemummabulle (a sticky, cardamom-infused bun); mazarin cake (moist with almonds); enormous sweet, savoury and spelt scones; and on a Friday, sourdough pizzas fresh from the oven. Vegetarians, vegans and meat-eaters alike are well catered for, and soups, open rye-bread sandwiches and inventive salads change daily. As you’d expect, muted greys and subway tiles, bare wood furniture and floors, and classic light fittings make for an appropriately tasteful environment to enjoy these Scandi treats.
- High point: Don’t leave without sampling the cardamom bun
- Low point: The small space means that it’s often busy
- Notable dish: Sourdough pizza
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £9 per bottle