- Telephone 0141 552 1777
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 4–7pm
- Average price £9 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9 (3 small plates)
- Website www.brutticompadres.com
Chic but sociable Merchant City bar with sneakily good tapas – easy to miss but worth finding.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Padron peppers. Yes – here. Delicious, salty green bullets of Spanish happiness that every once in a while deliver a blast of heat. Add juicy house red – and repeat. To reach pepper heaven turn left off a gloomy city street, along cobbles and through the courtyard. As kitsch red chilli lampshades enliven the continental wine cellar vibe, the contrast of exposed pipework and overhanging vines embodies the ugly but good – brutti ma buoni – concept shared with its compadres at the Brunswick Hotel. This Mediterranean mix continues on the menu where wee plates host a whistle-stop tour of southern Europe. Hip but never too cool, tables fill and turn over quickly. Three dishes for £9 is great value and encourages sharing and negotiating over last morsels. Tender chicken skewers, juicy garlic prawns and salty fried squid disappear off those plates quickly – and then there are those peppers.
- High point: Tempting tapas
- Low point: Incongruous artwork
- Notable dish: Padron peppers
- Private dining: 35 downstairs lounge
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: disco and house
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: July 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle