Yiamas Greek Taverna
- Telephone 0141 353 1386
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 1–10pm. Closed Mon. Closed Mon
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 4.30–6.30pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 (3 courses)
- Website yiamastaverna.com
Authentic Greek food at great value, perfectly situated for hungry shoppers off Buchanan Street with take-away also available.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This unassuming restaurant may be plainly decorated (bar the lively mural on one wall depicting a Greek street scene), but what it lacks in interior styling it more than makes up for with fantastic food. A starter of feta wrapped in filo pastry with sesame seeds and honey combines an unusual variety of tastes and textures with delicious results, while the generous portion of pitta and hummus is about as freshly made as you could ever want. The lamb kleftico (oven-cooked shank) is tender and full of flavour, and other appealing mains include beef mince balls, moussaka and stifado – a rabbit stew cooked in shallot sauce. By far the best value for money is the pita gyro, consisting of pork, tzatsiki, tomato, onion, chips and cayenne pepper, also available to take away. Yiamas Greek Taverna claims to offer ‘a little taste of Greece’ and with local wines and homemade desserts including baklava and kadifi (nuts, shredded pastry and syrup baked in the oven), it certainly lives up to this promise.
- High point: Authentic Greek cuisine at excellent value
- Low point: Décor a bit spartan
- Notable dish: Stifado – slow-cooked rabbit in a shallot sauce
- Private dining: 60 (upstairs)
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Traditional Greek
- Live entertainment: Greek night with music, usually once every three months
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle