Yiamas Greek Taverna
Authentic homemade Greek food served fast and fresh, also available to take away.
Mixing traditional Greek cooking and a no-frills, café-style décor, this well-established taverna is well placed for a meal on a night out in the city centre, or a quick bite when shopping. It’s open-plan, with huge windows to the front and an equally open view to the kitchen, so you can easily check on the progress of your meal. Upstairs, a separate dining room is popular with private parties. There’s one mezze menu, that's a little confusing – dishes, roughly speaking, increase in portion size with every column, until the final list of sides. If in doubt, staff offer sensible guidance on how much to order – although portions are generous so don’t expect to go home hungry. Standards such as moussaka and kleftiko are complemented by a few more unusual dishes that highlight their authenticity, such as a side of Cretian rusk bread, which isn’t often seen on Scottish menus. A highlight is Yiamas tiropitakia, a harmonious contrast of soft salty feta cheese wrapped in light filo pastry, fried crispy and drizzled in honey and sesame seeds.
- Delivery: Deliveroo, UberEats
- Private dining: 50 (upstairs)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Greek radio
- Live entertainment: Greek night with music, usually once every two months
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle