Yiamas Greek Taverna
- Telephone 0141 353 1386
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon-10pm; Sun 1–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 4–6.30pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £16.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 (3 courses)
- Website yiamastaverna.com
Authentic and delicious homemade Greek food packed full of flavour, which is also available to take away.
This family-run taverna dishes out plenty of classics at great value, alongside an even bigger serving of friendly, Greek hospitality. The food comes with home-cooked flavour, such as the hummus with a wonderful lemony zing, or the meatballs, laced with fresh herbs. For starters, vine leaves stuffed with rice and drenched in olive oil are pleasant, but the crisp filo pastries stuffed with feta and spinach are warm and delicious – a real must-try. If you’re after a filling main, have the huge slab of moussaka which is dominated by creamy béchamel sauce and accompanied by herb-coated potatoes. The restaurant is known for its gyros – pronounced ‘yee-ros’, not like something you get from the dole office – which is pork cooked on a spit, available wrapped up in pita to take away, as with many of the dishes here. With basic wooden furnishings and a prominent open kitchen – complete with buzzing, sizzling and the occasional high-pitched whirring – Yiamas might not be known for its décor or interior, but it’s certainly made a name for itself for its hearty portions of awesome, authentic food.
- High point: Fabulous home-cooked, flavoursome fare
- Low point: Not incredibly comfortable
- Notable dish: Beef mince moussaka
- Private dining: 50 (upstairs)
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic Greek artists
- Live entertainment: Greek night with music, usually once every three months
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle