- Telephone 0131 226 7527
- Opening times Mon–Fri 9am–5pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Seasonal times Festival closing 4pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7am–3pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Average price £6 (set lunch)
- Website www.social-bite.co.uk
Social Bite does breakfast and lunch with a difference, serving sandwiches, hot food or coffee and cake to support good causes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Social Bite bills itself as a ‘sandwich shop with a difference’. One in four of the staff are – or have been – homeless and 100 per cent of profits go to five charities, including Shelter Scotland. In their original Rose Street premises, they offer baguettes, sandwiches and hot dishes, including an impressive haggis, neeps and tatties with whisky sauce. Choose soup of the day – maybe lentil and bacon or broccoli and stilton – posh noodle pots with vegetarian or spicy Mexican chicken options and salads. All of the food is homemade and freshly prepared, and there are vegan and gluten-free choices. There’s a steady flow of office workers during the week but they’re closed at weekends. Do your bit by popping in for lunch or coffee and cake.
- High point: Good food, charming staff
- Low point: Very limited seating at Rose Street
- Notable dish: Haggis, neeps, tatties and whisky sauce
- Delivery: Office lunch delivery: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 16 (6 outdoors)
- Open since: 2012