- Telephone 0131 226 7527
- Opening times Mon–Fri 9am–5pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Seasonal times Open Saturday during the festival.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7am–3pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Average price £4.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.social-bite.co.uk
Breakfast and lunch with a difference, serving sandwiches, hot food or coffee and cake to support good causes.
Social enterprise Social Bite has been working to help tackle homelessness and social problems since 2011. The Rose Street branch is one of five across Scotland, with food prepared in their Livingston kitchen by a team including those who have previously experienced life on the streets. In a handy city centre spot, the café offers a range of sandwiches, salads, soup and hot lunches as well as breakfast rolls and cakes. The chicken, pesto and mozzarella sandwich is fresh and punchy, while a lentil soup is spicy and warming, one of several vegan and veggie items available. Customers can also buy ‘suspended’ items that a homeless person can come in and claim throughout the day. The social enterprise is focused on more than handouts, helping people off the streets with profits going to good causes, a training academy and regular ‘social supper’ evenings offering access to services and advice.
- High point: Rich banoffee pudding
- Low point: Vegetable noodles a bit bland
- Notable dish: Chicken, pesto and mozzarella sandwich
- Delivery: Delivery only for corporate catering, office lunch delivery can be contacted on email email@example.com
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop music
- Capacity: 16 (6 outdoors)
- Open since: 2012