- Telephone 0131 226 7527
- Opening times Mon–Fri 9am–5pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Seasonal times Open Saturday during the festival.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7am–3pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Average price £4.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.social-bite.co.uk
Breakfast and lunch with a difference, serving sandwiches, hot food or coffee and cake to support good causes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Social Bite bills itself as a ‘sandwich shop with a difference’. One in four of the staff are – or have been – homeless and 100 per cent of profits go to five charities, including Shelter Scotland. In their original Rose Street premises, they offer baguettes, sandwiches and hot dishes, including an impressive haggis, neeps and tatties with whisky sauce. Choose soup of the day – maybe lentil and bacon or broccoli and stilton – posh noodle pots with vegetarian or spicy Mexican chicken options and salads. All of the food is homemade and freshly prepared, and there are vegan and gluten-free choices. There’s a steady flow of office workers during the week but they’re closed at weekends. Do your bit by popping in for lunch or coffee and cake.
- High point: Good food, charming staff
- Low point: Very limited seating at Rose Street
- Notable dish: Haggis, neeps, tatties and whisky sauce
- Delivery: Delivery only for corporate catering, office lunch delivery can be contacted on email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop music
- Capacity: 16 (6 outdoors)
- Open since: 2012