The Forest Café
- Telephone 0131 229 4922
- Opening times Mon–Sun 10am–11pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: open late
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £6 (lunch); £6 (evening meal)
- Website blog.theforest.org.uk
A free-spirited community art and event space, serving up tasty vegetarian and vegan meals.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The Forest café is a non-profit, volunteer-run art and event space which includes a vegetarian/vegan café. Anyone is welcome to display work, perform, or hold an event here – in return, everything is free to attend. The small menu boasts vegan chilli, wraps, salads, and soup. Hungry patrons won't be disappointed by the falafel or burrito plates loaded with three types of salad and fresh hummus. There’s also a selection of tasty cakes from Garvald bakery, a charity for adults with additional needs. The space is warm and comfortable but would benefit from a lick of paint and a good tidy – it feels more like a student common room than a café, though the lunchtime regulars don't seem to mind. And while its appearance may not be to everyone's taste, certainly the inclusive ethos, welcoming spirit, and well-priced meals will win anyone over.
- High point: Tasty veggie/vegan food and always something interesting going on
- Low point: You'll love it or hate it
- Notable dish: Vegan chilli
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Free to book and perform or hold event, check Facebook page for current happenings
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012 (original Forest cafe opened in 2000)
- BYOB: wine £1.50; beer 65p corkage