The Forest Café
A volunteer-run arts and event space offering cheap and tasty vegetarian and vegan food.
With views over Tollcross, this community arts and events space certainly ticks the laid-back, creative box. With mismatched china and decoupage tables, there is a casual yet friendly atmosphere. The vegan chilli is popular, so don't be surprised if they tell you the new batch isn't ready. A 1970s ice-cream bowl full of hummus and zhug (spicy pesto) with warmed pita cheers a wet afternoon washed down with a mug of breakfast tea (a good selection of teas are available). Other options on the chalk board include cheesy beans on toast and burrito with salad. Fine dining it is not, but it’s still decent helpings of honest vegetarian and vegan food served by volunteers, all for a very reasonable price.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Electic mix
- Live entertainment: Varied programme of arts events
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012 (original Forest cafe opened in 2000)
- BYOB: wine £1.50; beer 65p corkage
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.