- Telephone 0141 332 0041
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.chaophraya.co.uk
First class city-centre Thai experience without too hefty a price tag, ideal for special occasions.
Chaophraya is worth visiting for a gander at the interior alone. Situated on the corner of Nelson Mandela Place, the grand 1909 townhouse once housed the Royal Academy of Music and Drama. Names of famous composers are carved into the marble walls of the central stairwell. It now serves food and drinks over four immaculately decorated floors, ceilings are high, original features perfectly preserved and soft furnishings have the subtle opulence of a 5 star hotel. Main courses begin at only £9, which seems like a small price to pay for dinner in such impressive surroundings. There is much to admire on the menu too. Imaginative dishes like crispy pork belly with fried Thai basil sit alongside very good versions of more run-of-the-mill choices, such as Pad Thai. Ingredients are high quality and everything is a pretty safe bet, reflecting the reliable level of accomplishment you would expect from Europe’s largest Thai chain. A particularly well-devised selection of Thai cocktails are also on offer, the Taste of Thailand (green chilli vodka, lime, sugar and mint served in a martini glass) is a well-matched accompaniment for the restaurant’s fragrant curries.
- High point: Opulent surroundings
- Low point: Limited vegetarian selection
- Notable dish: Thai red curry
Located in the heart of Glasgow in the iconic Townhouse building, Chaophraya is the new and exciting venue to hit Glasgow.
The venue is set over four floors featuring Palm Sugar bar and lounge, a la carte restaurant, Buddha balcony, VIP champagne and whisky bar and four exclusive private dining areas catering for all occasions.
Each private dining area has its own unique style, the largest being the Thai Royal ballroom seating up to 30 people.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle