Looking Glass Books
- Telephone 0131 229 2902
- Seasonal times Open later in the evenings during summer
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–6pm; Sat/Sun 10am–6pm
- Average price £6.50 (lunch)
- Website lookingglassbooks.com
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Ensuring bookworms with a caffeine habit can feed both their addictions, this amiable ‘booktique’ café boasts its own lively literary scene, hosting a stream of reading groups, author events and kids' storytelling sessions amid shelves stuffed with bestsellers and obscurities. They’ve even got their own writer-in-residence with author Cat Clarke regularly dropping in to pen her latest novel and dispense sage advice to wannabe scribes. Dinky chessboard tables, Victorian button-back chairs and a contrasting monochrome and pastel palette create a boudoir library feel and a modest but appealing selection of pastries, cakes and sweet treats like mini macaroons is complemented by coffee from Lake District roaster Carvetii and teas from Eteaket. Hot food is restricted to steaming bowls of soup, although there are a handful of pre-made sandwich and savoury options.
- High point: Floor-to-ceiling windows make for a beautifully light space
- Low point: Shame the view from them is of a building site
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mix of staff picks with something for everyone
- Live entertainment: Occasional live music, regular storytelling groups for kids, author events, book groups
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2012