Spice Lounge Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 476 9999
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.spiceloungekitchen.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Despite the size and layout of an anonymous chain pub/restaurant, Spice Lounge Kitchen in Corstorphine is stylishly designed with a modern and sophisticated interior, and makes good use of its vast proportions. Customers can enjoy drinks with small tapas-style dishes, or even Indian-inspired pizzas and burgers in the comfortable bar area, or venture into the elegant (and huge) dining room for something more substantial. Described as ‘the king of kebabs’ a starter of galouti kebab features little patties of minced lamb sat on individual puris and topped with half a red grape. A main course of chicken shakuti Goa, a dish from Southern India, comes in a delicately spiced sauce, with the heat of red chillies cooled by creamy coconut milk. Panjabi tikka masala has a lovely rich sauce but is sadly rather mild, despite the maximum three-chilli rating on the menu. Garlic naan is light and crispy, and for those who can’t decide, a variety bread basket is available with your choice of Indian breads.
- High point: Well presented and tasty food
- Low point: Service can be hit and miss
- Notable dish: Galouti Kebab
- Delivery: ask for details
- Private dining: Up to 120 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian pop
- Capacity: 240
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: June 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle