- Telephone 0131 629 3037
- Opening times Mon & Sun 10am–5pm; Wed–Sat 10am–midnight; closed Tue.
- Bar open Tue 10am–10pm; Wed–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Food served Mon 10am–4.30pm; Tue–Sun 10am–9.30pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.theskylark.co.uk
Unique Portobello gathering place with good food that makes the community richer by its presence.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Some places just feel instantly part of the warp and weft of a community – like they’ve always been there, or should have been. Skylark is one of those unique creatures and makes Portobello High Street the richer for it. Skylark changes with the day’s light. There are talking library mornings for youngsters, film afternoons for kids of all ages, DJ evenings and local musicians/folk the owners just like. It’s a place that will change around you if you have enough refills (coffee or beer) but each incarnation will feel genuine and right. The menu also changes but always feels nicely homey, giving balanced attention to vegetarians, vegans and carnivores. Mussel popcorn, tempura-coated juicy fellows for dipping in homemade tartar sauce, are excellent, as is the soothing potato dauphinoise gratin as a starter. Steak frîtes, its thick-cut bavette steak encircled with two-day wine jus and crisp chips, is ultimate comfort food but burgers made of pulled confit of duck, deep-fried chicken or aubergine and roast pepper give it a run for its money. Indulgently moreish puddings cap things off nicely.
- High point: The whole spirit of the place (and the great beer)
- Low point: Music can get a bit loud on weekend evenings
- Notable dish: Popcorn mussels
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: DJ for rock/pop on Fri eve
- Live entertainment: Monthly film nights, weekly chess club (Mon), fortnightly pub quiz (Thu), talking kids library (Tue), DJ or live music on weekend eves
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Reviews & features
The Skylark's Nina Taris recommends some festive winter warmers16 Nov 2012
Recipes for a sparkling Elderflower spritzer and whisky-heavy Athol Brose included
Elderflower spritzer 80ml elderflower cordial Champagne (or sparkling wine) Perrier Ice ‘Pour the cordial with a couple of ice cubes into a glass. Add Champagne (or sparkling wine) and top up with ice cold Perrier. Et voila!’ Athol Brose A…