- Telephone 0131 629 3037
- Opening times Mon & Sun 10am–5pm; Wed–Sat 10am–midnight; closed Tue.
- Seasonal times Mon–Sun 10am–late.
- Bar open Sun–Tue 10am–10pm; Wed–Sat 10am–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Tue 10am–9pm; Wed–Sat 10am–9.30pm.
- Website www.theskylark.co.uk
Unique Portobello gathering place with good food that makes the community richer by its presence.
The Skylark, a Portobello bistro with Formica-top tables, regularly changing artwork and old-school tunes, is a quirky, vibrant little place. French-inspired dishes using the best of Scotland’s larder are freshly prepared in an open-plan kitchen, served alongside French wines and local beers. Daytime and weekend menus offer simple dishes: soup, rolls, salads, sandwiches and croque monsieur/madame, while evenings bring more hearty and elaborate creations. To start, Scottish mussels tempura-style come in a crisp, light and well-seasoned batter, accompanied by paprika mayo. For mains, North African spiced mackerel, on crispy, garlicky roast potatoes with ratatouille veg, hits the spot. Seafood dishes seem to be a good option here; quite fitting given its seaside location. While room for dessert is a challenge, the indulgent raw chocolate and hazelnut cake miraculously goes down with not a crumb left behind. Aside from great food and drink, the Skylark also provides a stage for live music, pub quizzes, afternoon films and more, offering a fun and unique experience on every visit.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled, old school tunes
- Live entertainment: Quarterly film nights, pub quiz (Thu 8–10pm), Mrs Mash storytelling (Mon 10:30–11am), Cafe Bambino Breast-feeding clinic (Mon 2:30–3.20pm) DJ (Fri), live music quarterly (Sat), Beer club (returning in the summer), artwork changes every 6 weeks.
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Reviews & features
The Skylark's Nina Taris recommends some festive winter warmers16 Nov 2012
Recipes for a sparkling Elderflower spritzer and whisky-heavy Athol Brose included
Elderflower spritzer 80ml elderflower cordial Champagne (or sparkling wine) Perrier Ice ‘Pour the cordial with a couple of ice cubes into a glass. Add Champagne (or sparkling wine) and top up with ice cold Perrier. Et voila!’ Athol Brose A…