- Telephone 0131 629 3037
- Opening times Mon & Sun 10am–5pm; Wed–Sat 10am–midnight; closed Tue.
- Bar open Sun–Tue 10am–10pm; Wed/Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Sun–Tue 10am–9pm; Wed–Sat 10am–9.30pm.
- Website www.theskylark.co.uk
Community-focused Portobello bistro with a commitment to local produce and inclusive dining.
Once downtrodden and forgotten, the seaside resort of Portobello has transformed itself into the home of yummy mummies, their cool kiddies and curly cockapoos. Trendy community-focused Skylark fits in perfectly with its wide-open layout, colourful Formica tables and old wooden school chairs. The menu has a great choice of vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free dishes – meat eaters will be sorry if they turn their noses up at the leek and mature cheddar arancini, deliciously seasoned with a chilli tomato relish. Every box is ticked with an ambitious and flavoursome main of saffron pilaf new potatoes accompanied by smoked aubergine, chermoula, and roast tomato chilli coulis. There's also possibly the poshest sausage and mash in Edinburgh, featuring pork rib ragu herb sausages from Portobello butcher Findlay with a puff pastry pie top. Skylark is admirably committed to local suppliers and the local economy, so everything from meat and fish to organic milk and bread is sourced as close to home as possible.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Live entertainment: Quarterly film nights, pub quiz (Thu 8–10pm), Mrs Mash storytelling (Mon 10:30–11am), Cafe Bambino Breast-feeding clinic (Mon 2:30–3.20pm) DJ (Fri), live music quarterly (Sat)
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Reviews & features
The Skylark's Nina Taris recommends some festive winter warmers16 Nov 2012
Recipes for a sparkling Elderflower spritzer and whisky-heavy Athol Brose included
Elderflower spritzer 80ml elderflower cordial Champagne (or sparkling wine) Perrier Ice ‘Pour the cordial with a couple of ice cubes into a glass. Add Champagne (or sparkling wine) and top up with ice cold Perrier. Et voila!’ Athol Brose A…