- Telephone 0131 629 3037
- Opening times Mon & Sun 10am–5pm; Wed–Sat 10am–midnight; closed Tue.
- Seasonal times Mon–Sun 10am–late.
- Bar open Mon–Tues 10am–5pm; Wed–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Tues 10am–5pm; Wed–Sun 10am–9.30pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.theskylark.co.uk
Unique Portobello gathering place with good food that makes the community richer by its presence.
The Skylark's quirky little character has firmly embedded itself in the heart of Portobello. It’s perfect for local weekend brunches with colouring pencils and toys for the kids, bowls of water for the dog, and a small selection of French wine and Scottish beers to keep the larger humans happy. The space is comfortable and homely. Little ones are looked after with storytelling and afternoon films, weeknights you might find an art exhibition or pub quiz, and weekends are for live music, kitchen takeovers, and the chef DJing. The menu combines French flair with Scottish produce. Weekends and daytimes showcase artisan breakfast rolls, croque monsieurs (and madames), fresh soups, and scones with homemade jam. At night, the steak frîtes, spiced lamb burgers and bowls of mussels come with good tunes, sweet cocktails and relaxed service. Vegans and vegetarians are well looked after with crisp, savoury, beetroot and broad bean falafel served with tahini and pickled vegetable salad, or frîtes différentes; tempura carrots and parsnips with a harissa yoghurt dip.
- High point: Relaxed, family-friendly dining near Edinburgh’s seaside
- Low point: Service can be a bit slow when busy
- Notable dish: Croque Monsieur
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff picks
- Live entertainment: Monthly film nights, pub quiz (Thu), Mrs Mash storytelling (Mon), DJ (Fri)or live music (Sat), Sushi club, Beer club with Beer Zoo, Lots of community events all week
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Reviews & features
The Skylark's Nina Taris recommends some festive winter warmers16 Nov 2012
Recipes for a sparkling Elderflower spritzer and whisky-heavy Athol Brose included
Elderflower spritzer 80ml elderflower cordial Champagne (or sparkling wine) Perrier Ice ‘Pour the cordial with a couple of ice cubes into a glass. Add Champagne (or sparkling wine) and top up with ice cold Perrier. Et voila!’ Athol Brose A…