- Telephone 0131 229 1899
- Seasonal times 3am licence during August, Christmas and New Year
- Bar open Mon–Wed 10am–midnight; Thu–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.20pm.
- Average price £11 (set lunch); £19.75 (evening meal)
- Website www.thefountainbar.co.uk
Popular dining pub with a snazzy countenance and decent beers, perfect for a pre or post-movie meal.
Part of the Shilling Group , The Fountain is an ex-John Barras pub that’s gone all Farrow and Ball, with an airy and unfussily stylish bar area and a darker, snugger dining room. There’s some decent beers to choose from, both on tap and by the bottle, plus a smattering of cocktails, but the bar doesn’t quite have the geekish know-how that some more specialist joints offer. What it does have is a popular menu, doing the pan-global gastro-pub thing, so a tagine, a laksa and a steak and chips might share a tabletop. Some dishes are a little odd – a risotto made with long grain rice just seems weird these days, and a ham hock terrine served without bread but with butter is, well, missing something – but there’s decent ingredients used, and it shows, especially in a glorious (and enormous) beef shin pie.
- High point: Plenty of excellent drinks to pick from
- Low point: Service can get muddled on a busy night
- Notable dish: Beef shin pie
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Relaxed soul and R&B
- Capacity: 72 (15 outdoors)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £17 per bottle