Real Rajput Indian Cuisine
- Telephone 0131 220 2335
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 5–11.30pm; Sat 2–11.30pm; Sun 5–11.30pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); E19 (evening meal)
Once upon a time eating on the Royal Mile was much like shopping on it – overpriced, under staffed and geared entirely to making a quick buck out of passing tourists. It is a highly encouraging sign of the times that – outside of a few big chains – restaurants like newcomer Real Rajput are now considered the norm. The basement space has been carefully decorated with screens and prints to create an intimate but not over-crowded dining area. The focus on service is perhaps a little too overstated (it is mentioned several times in the menu alone and constant checking that all is well can interrupt the flow of the meal), but it does allow staff time to explain the more exotic dishes on an extensive menu. Some may find the pickle flavour slightly overpowering in the North Indian speciality achari chicken tikka, but it is a refreshingly different addition to the menu. More traditional dishes like lamb saag are well executed and presented. The menu proclaims that 'The Brave Shall Inherit the Earth' – time will tell, but they certainly seem to have inherited the Royal Mile.
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Traditional Indian
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: Feb 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle