- Telephone 0131 220 5682
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–4pm; Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 10am–4pm
- Average price £3.75–£4.25 (set lunch)
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
Merely entering Papii on a dreich Edinburgh lunchtime feels revitalising: the pale-blue walls, brushed white wood furniture and bright shutters adorning the walls evoke a beach-hut feeling, even before you cast your eye over the goodies on offer. The holiday vibe continues throughout the menu with an eclectic mix of Oreo milkshakes, waffles and spanakopita nuzzling up against more traditional panini, patisserie and sandwiches. Even with the cafe staples, the locally sourced bread and fresh, well-prepared ingredients are imaginatively combined into stand-out signature creations such as the Meatball Hero – a rich, spicy, gooey feast for which the term 'sandwich' feels inadequate (and puts certain high-street sandwich chains' limp offerings to shame) – while eggs are Florentined and Benedicted to perfection. At Papii a quick pitstop lunch can feel like a sunny treat – no matter if the weather agrees.
- High point: A break from the city, in the city
- Low point: Heading back to work afterwards
- Notable dish: Meatball Hero
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 25