Michael Neave Kitchen & Whisky Bar
- Telephone 0131 226 4747
- Bar open Tue–Sat noon–3.30pm, 5.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–3.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price Tues–Fri £9.95; Sat £11.95. (set lunch); £28 (evening meal)
- Website michaelneave.co.uk
A mature and distinctly Scottish menu from a young chef in a modern, friendly restaurant off the Royal Mile.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Isn’t it annoying when young folk achieve stuff you can only dream of before they’re even 25? Fortunately for talented Michael Neave, it hasn’t put his customers off. Settling down to peruse the menu over a pre-dinner drink in the whisky bar above the restaurant, it’s hard to believe this classy, mature and confident venue and menu has been created by one so young. Downstairs the modern, spacious restaurant offers distinctly Scottish dishes in a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. West coast scallops make a strong and popular starter, and meat lovers won’t be disappointed if they follow that with a beautifully cooked Aberdeen Angus steak set off with dauphinoise potatoes, and juicy, lightly grilled cherry vine tomatoes. A crispy-skinned, soft and flaky halibut fillet on a lightly seasoned shellfish bisque is ideal for those with a less ambitious appetite. Sticky toffee soufflé is set to impress for dessert, as is a sweet wee banana tarte tatin complemented by a rum and raisin Chantilly cream.
- High point: Good quality Scottish fare…
- Low point: … which at times is more safe than creative
Exploring the best of the Scottish larder, Michael Neave Kitchen and Whisky Bar takes inspiration from some of Europe's most luxurious cuisines and some of the finest whiskies available on the market.
Headed by one of Scotland's most promising young chefs, Neave sources from a treasured team of farmers, fishermen, growers and brewers, and ensures all dietary requirements are amply catered for. Already creating a buzz, Michael Neave's first restaurant looks set to pave the way for a glittering culinary career.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern jazz
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
21-year-old Michael Neave takes an impressively confident approach to opening his first restaurant29 Jul 2012
Young chef opens Edinburgh restaurant
Michael Neave took a different approach when he launched his first restaurant six weeks ago. There was no loud, proud social media campaign, no advertising and no worrying about not being full from day one. Instead he’s relying on word of mouth to…