The Leith Beer Co.
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 554 2425
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 11am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9pm.
- Average price £5.99 (set lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Website www.leithbeerco-edinburgh.co.uk
No-fuss pub on The Shore doing good bargains with warm service.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
While the craft beer movement marches on, this no-fuss pub on The Shore might wrongfoot some customers with its title – it’s less of a specialist beer haven, and more an unpretentious chain pub doing good bargains on food and drinks. Bottles of Erdinger, Blue Moon and Raspberry Bacchus sit alongside Guinness and Tennent’s on tap (the latter makes The Shore feel like a student union at £2.49 a pint on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays), or there are also early-week deals on wine (£7.99 a bottle). Their aubergine and beetroot curry is a good veggie option among the pub grub standards (steak and ale pie, scampi and chips, lasagne with garlic bread) plus there’s a budget lunch special of a sandwich, side and drink for £5.99 every day, which is popular with locals. Thursday nights fill up fast for quiz nights, as do their outside tables on sunny afternoons.
- High point: Cheap and cheerful pub grub
- Low point: Slow-night slumps can lack atmosphere
- Notable dish: Balmoral gourmet burger with haggis, melted cheese, streaky bacon and battered onion rings
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic pop and rock, or jukebox tunes
- Live entertainment: DJ last Saturday of every month, pub quiz on Thu at 9pm
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £11.99 (£7.99 Mon–Wed) per bottle