- Telephone 0131 556 8765
- Opening times Mon–Fri 9am–5pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £7 (lunch)
- Website www.serenitycafe.co.uk
A community café set-up and run by volunteers in recovery, offering great value food in a relaxed and welcoming environment.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Set back from the bustle of the Royal Mile and its hordes of tourists sits Serenity Café, a relaxed and welcoming community venue staffed by volunteers. The café was set up by a small group of people in recovery in 2009, supported by the charity Comas and is the first of its kind in Scotland, run by people in recovery for people in recovery, as well as members of the public. Enjoy a hearty all-day breakfast, baked potatoes or an incredibly tasty, toasted triple-layer club sandwich with salad, while the blackboard announces a host of daily specials. The café is family friendly, with a selection of toys, and is a good place to come and relax and read one of their books or chill on a comfy sofa. The menu has members and non-members prices and offers great value for this normally premium-priced part of town, as well as the opportunity to support this valuable project.
- High point: Great-value prices and opportunity to support an excellent project
- Low point: It's a little out of the way
- Notable dish: Dumpling soup
This social enterprise cafe serves great value meals and coffees with a diverse menu for those that fancy something a bit different for lunch without breaking the bank. Something for carnivores, vegetarians, cake lovers.
Children welcome, high chair, toys, children's meals.
It's good food for a good cause, with a warm welcome from the volunteers.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Free
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Live entertainment: Hosts events from bands to conferences to DJ sets
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2009