Nanyang Malaysian Cuisine
- Telephone 0131 629 1797
- Opening times Daily: noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri & Sun noon–2.30pm, 5–10.30pm; Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm.
- Average price £9.50 (lunch); £17.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.nanyangrestaurant.com
Bustling, colourful and cosy Malaysian restaurant in the sleek Quartermile development.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If you’ve given the sleek, some would say soulless, Quartermile development a body swerve when it comes to eating out, then you’re missing a trick: Nanyang’s is terrifically good. Salt and chilli crab comes with the crunch of a tempura-light batter and a pleasing, just-this-side-of-spicy tang. Roti chenai is soft and fluffy as a cloud, albeit a cloud that rains butter. The Malaysian chicken curry is distinct, lighter and with a sour creamy freshness to it that holds it apart from any of its punchier Indian counterparts. Grilled seabass, disrobed from a bamboo leaf cloak, is as unctuous and compulsive a dish as you could hope to find. The fish is buried under a tar-black onion and pepper concoction, sweet and sticky and singing with lemongrass. Black rice pudding is sticky sweet with a lingering saltiness on the tongue: an exotic remodel of the school dinner treat.
- High point: Food is outrageously good
- Low point: Desserts don't reach high standard of mains
- Notable dish: Grilled sea bass
- Delivery: £1-£3/EH1-4; EH9-10 through Just Eat
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Asian music
- Capacity: 70 (20 outdoors)
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £6 corkage