Nanyang Malaysian Cuisine
- Telephone 0131 629 1797
- Opening times Daily: noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri & Sun noon–2.30pm, 5–10.30pm; Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm.
- Average price £9.50 (lunch); £17.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.nanyangrestaurant.com
Bustling, colourful and cosy Malaysian restaurant in the sleek Quartermile development.
Although the number of Malaysian restaurants in Edinburgh can be counted on one hand, Quartermile’s Nanyang has made quite the name for itself. The menu mirrors the cuisine – it’s diverse and reflects the influence of surrounding regions, while offering familiar dishes like sweet and sour chicken and wonton soup for less adventurous diners. First timers are pointed towards the roti canai, a doughy flatbread served with a buttery curry dip, followed by mussels which are smothered in a salty-sweet sambal sauce. The salt and chilli pepper soft shell crab is slightly disappointing with excess batter masking the sweet flavour of the crab meat. On top of the banana-wrapped ikan bakar is a sticky mess of green beans, chilli and yet more sambal sauce – a tangy and well-paired companion to the delicate seabass beneath. Nanyang suits its cosmopolitan surroundings, with polished service and an accommodating menu bringing a refreshing alternative to the city centre dining scene.
- High point: King prawn dim sum
- Low point: Gloopy massaman curry
- Notable dish: Ikan Bakar
- Delivery: £1-£3/EH1-4; EH9-10 through Just Eat
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Asian music
- Capacity: 70 (20 outdoors)
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £6 corkage