- Telephone 0131 629 3327
- Seasonal times During Winter (until April 1) they close at 6pm on Sundays.
- Bar open Mon/Tue 11am–11pm; Wed/Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun 10am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–9pm; Sun 10am–9pm.
- Average price £7.50 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.bodabar.com/hemma/
Hemma is proof that there's more to Scandinavian food and drink than crispbreads and pickled herring.
Even with six venues now across Edinburgh, we're quite happy for the Swedish owners of Hemma to continue their empire building. Off any beaten track, the office-y look of Hemma’s exterior belies the cosiness inside, created by mismatched furniture, comfy sofas, fairy lights and table football. On a Friday night, the after-work crowd combines with a regular DJ spinning soul and funk to create a sometimes full-on dance party. At other times, you’ll find a mixed crowd, including families during the day, and a relaxed feel. There’s a strong selection of draught and bottled beers including Williams Bros ales and low alcohol beer; 14 wines, all by the glass; and a classic cocktail selection. The food is hearty and homely, with frequently changing mains like Norvik beef stew or paella, lots of open and toasted sandwiches, salads, burgers and sharing platters.
- Private dining: 130 for drinks and buffet, 90 for a sit-down meal upstairs and downstairs.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Miles Davis and Ella Fitzgerald. On a Friday night the DJ plays funk and soul.
- Live entertainment: DJ on a Friday night
- Capacity: 45 dining covers upstairs; 50 downstairs (25 outside)
- Largest group: 130 for drinks and buffet, 90 for a sit-down meal upstairs and downstairs.
- Open since: May 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £14.10 per bottle