- Telephone 0131 556 8337
- Seasonal times Depends on demand in August
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Playhouse Theatre show dates, until 6pm
- Average price £8.25 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.20
- Website www.pomegranatesrestaurant.com
Middle Eastern mezze-style food, along with chargrilled meats and shisha pipes in this animated city centre eatery.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
It’s big, it’s bright, and it’s well suited to cater for the crowds heading to neighbouring bars and the Playhouse theatre. Part of the Middle Eastern restaurant trio that includes Hanam’s and Laila’s, this is not one for romantic tête-à-têtes, but good for groups, catching up with a friend, or a bite after work. It’s a sharing type of a place, so get in about the mezze-style food en masse. An array of tasty tapas dishes includes a lemony hummus, crunchy fatoush salad or salty halloumi cheese with olives. Qozy lamb stands monolithic and proud on a bed of rice and naan, the meat tender and plenty of it. Chargrilled mains feature a large selection of kebabs as well as varied wraps; the slightly dry falafel wrap is well matched to the accompanying salad and chilli and garlic dips. Fresh mint tea and a plate of sticky, sugary pastries is a satisfying end, coupled perhaps with a sit on the outside decking to puff on one of the shisha pipes.
- High point: Pretty big portions and perfect for a party
- Low point: Could do with dimming the lights a notch
- Notable dish: Qozy lamb
Bringing the rich flavours of the Middle East to Scotland, Pomegranate is set at the top of Edinburgh's Leith Walk. Along with traditional Middle Eastern and North African main courses, the menu also offers an eclectic array of hot and cold mezze. The décor is colourful yet cosy, with hanging lanterns and Arabic-style cushions. An outside seating area for diners to enjoy flavoured shisha pipe is also available.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Arabic music
- Capacity: 70 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 1 (de-alcoholised or non-alcoholic)
- BYOB: No charge corkage (Only sells de-alcoholised or non-alcoholic drinks. All alcohol consumed must be BYOB, wine, beer and cider only. No charge.)