- Telephone 0131 556 8337
- Seasonal times Depends on demand in August
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Playhouse Theatre show dates only, 4–6pm, order by 6pm, out by 7.30
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.pomegranatesrestaurant.com
Vibrant Middle Eastern mezze and shisha bar in the heart of the city.
Bright green walls shout at you as you enter Pomegranate. From the extravagant lanterns sourced from a Moroccan souk, to the plastic tablecloths, smiling staff and BYOB policy, everything about the restaurant is designed to boom a friendly welcome, just as the food itself is the culinary equivalent of a cheerful embrace from a friend. Boasting the same boldly flavoured, hearty Middle Eastern cooking as sister restaurant Hanam’s, Pomegranate is the ideal place for a rowdy mezze lunch with friends or a gleeful family dinner. Split everything – don’t worry, you’ll get enough – and indulge in fresh carrot hummus, light, charred naan bread, or borek that’s delicately spiced with cinnamon, dipped in a garlic sauce singing with a slight heat, while smooshy stewed okra provides a warming hint of chilli. If you’re opting for mains, the qozy chicken is a braised thigh, succulent and sweetly lemony, collapsing off the bone. Those addicted to the grill shouldn’t pass over the joojeh, a half chicken marinated in lemon, garlic and tomato then chargrilled.
Bringing the rich flavours of the Middle East to Scotland, Pomegranate is set at the top of Edinburgh's Leith Walk. Along with traditional Middle Eastern and North African main courses, the menu also offers an eclectic array of hot and cold mezze. The décor is colourful yet cosy, with hanging lanterns and Arabic-style cushions. An outside seating area for diners to enjoy flavoured shisha pipe is also available.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Deliveroo & Just Eat
- Private dining: 35 & 25
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Arabic music
- Live entertainment: Belly dancer can be hired for private dining areas
- Capacity: 130 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2 (1 red, 1 white, de-alcoholised or non-alcoholic) & non-alcoholic beer selection
- BYOB: £1.50 per wine, £1 per beer corkage (Only sells de-alcoholised or non-alcoholic drinks. All alcohol consumed must be BYOB, prosecco, wine, beer and cider only. No corkcage but 30p per bottle recylcing charge)
Reviews & features
Best restaurants in Edinburgh for good pre-theatre deals31 May 2018
Where to head if you're looking for a good feed before a show
Whether you're after a quick bite or a more lavish pre-show meal, there are restaurants in Edinburgh of all cuisines with good, affordable menus to fill you up before you head to the theatre.