- Telephone 0131 556 8337
- Seasonal times Festival: may extend hours
- Food served Mon–Thu 5pm–11pm; Fri–Sun noon–11.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Available on Playhouse Theatre performances only, tables must be back by 7.30pm.
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.pomegranatesrestaurant.com
Vibrant Middle Eastern mezze and shisha bar in the heart of the city.
Pomegranate has become synonymous with parties and pre-theatre, thanks to an easy-going BYOB policy, mezze menu ideal for sharing, and proximity to the Playhouse Theatre. Now licensed, the BYOB policy isn’t quite the steal it once was, though still generous enough to keep those parties coming. But It’s still a good choice for all sorts of diners, thanks to interesting menu items that aren’t that common around Edinburgh. Be discerning and load your table with soujuk (spicy sausage) kullcha (naan fritters) and ful (fava beans and chickpeas) as well as the more standard (though still yummy) choices like hummus and baba ganoush. Mains are generous and also good for sharing, split into dishes that are served with rice, kebabs and shwarma, and there are platters available too if you’re heading for a full-on blow-out. In contrast, puddings are more restrained, mostly featuring ice-creams with unusual flavours like saffron and cardamom.
Bringing the rich flavours of the Middle East to Scotland, Pomegranate is set at the top of Edinburgh's Leith Walk. Along with traditional Middle Eastern and North African main courses, the menu also offers an eclectic array of hot and cold mezze. The décor is colourful yet cosy, with hanging lanterns and Arabic-style cushions. An outside seating area for diners to enjoy flavoured shisha pipe is also available.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/broughton/pomegranate-edinburgh
- Private dining: 35 & 25
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 130 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2012
- BYOB: £3.95 wine; £2 beer corkage
Reviews & features
Best restaurants in Edinburgh for good pre-theatre deals31 May 2018
Where to head if you're looking for a good feed before a show
Whether you're after a quick bite or a more lavish pre-show meal, there are restaurants in Edinburgh of all cuisines with good, affordable menus to fill you up before you head to the theatre.