Clean Plates Café
- Telephone 0141 946 8392
- Opening times Mon–Fri 10am–6pm; Sat 10am–5pm; Sun 10am–4pm.
- Seasonal times Closed over Christmas week.
- Average price £5 (set lunch)
- Website www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk/cafe
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
The historic stained-glass windows in Maryhill Burgh Halls picture bricklayers, blacksmiths and other workers previously local to Maryhill. A fitting detail as the hall was, in part, saved by local people. Moving with the times, it now houses – among other things – a recording studio and this quietly ambitious café. The all-day breakfasts are standard fare but the sandwiches betray daring aspirations: Parma ham, mozzarella and pesto on ciabatta. The seating areas are functional rather than homely – think bright lighting, expensive but robust chairs. However, near floor-to-ceiling windows flood part of the cafe with sky and the courtyard beyond would be a strong draw in the summer. Cake, coffee and Suki teas are already popular with locals; the new menu (due to be introduced soon after press) might temp those from further afield. Dishes like confit of salmon and quesadilla were traditionally more West End than Maryhill. Not anymore.
- High point: Cakes Mary Berry would be proud of
- Low point: Cosier seating might better complement the café’s community feel
- Notable dish: Parma ham, mozzarella and pesto ciabatta with tomato and rocket salad
Serving sit in or takeaway teas, coffees, milshakes, and cakes breakfast rolls, bagels, pancakes homemade soup, toasties freshly made sandwiches including: salmon and cream cheese lemon chicken with black pepper tuna melt savoury cheese & tomato ham with mustard and onion marmalade
a selection of small and large plates are also now available such as: macaroni cheese with fries chicken ceaser salad pulled pork with slaw and fries quesadilla filled with any above toppings or a baked poato filled with various toppings
Catering for any events held in the Burgh Halls is provided by Clean Plates.
Clean Plates can provide a wide range of catering options for all kinds of events held at the Burgh Halls. They specialise in providing for specialist dietary requirements, and their friendly chefs will be delighted to discuss tailoring our wide range of options to suit your needs, with budgets starting at very reasonable rates.
A wide range of beers, wines and champagne can also be provided for your event.
The cafe is situated in the entrance foyer to the Burgh Halls, and is a large, airy welcoming space.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 120 (sit down) - 160 (buffet)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Varied: prog, jazz, folk, classical, country, polkas
- Capacity: 45 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2012
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle