The Last Word Saloon
- Telephone 0131 225 9009
- Opening times Daily: 4pm–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 4pm–1am.
- Average price £8 (cheese boards only); £8 (cheese boards only)
- Website www.lastwordsaloon.com
Candlelit, sheepskin-lined basement bar in Stockbridge serving excellent, unusual cocktails (but not much food) by the fireside.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A refreshing alternative to the glitz and suits of the George Street scene, this excellent low-lit basement bar gets the balance just right between taking their cocktails very seriously, while keeping the atmosphere pretension-free. It’s one locals recommend to visiting friends because it offers the double whammy of grown-up, fancy drinks, served in a relaxing stone-clad, sheepskin and leather-lined hidey-hole. The Neko to Nezumi is an example of the bar’s many wonderful whisky-based concoctions; a heady hot drink for two people, blending Ardmore single malt with vermouth and spices, filtered through a Japanese coffee siphon. Mezcal and tequila sit beautifully alongside strawberry jam, lime juice and rose liqueur in the Same But Different (£7.50), Peroni Red and Heaven Hill make for a moreish boilermaker (£5) or there’s fernet, pisco or poppy liqueur for sipping. See Facebook for updates on whisky and rum club events, plus live music nights.
- High point: Delicious, unusual drinks in a comfortable spot
- Low point: Eat first as food is limited to cheese boards and snacks
- Notable dish: Highland Rogue cocktail featuring Highland Park 12-year-old whisky, blackcurrant & rhubarb honey tea syrup, Cocchi Vermouth di Torino & Pedro Ximenez sherry
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: American indie pop
- Live entertainment: Live music every second Monday, see Facebook and Twitter for updates
- Capacity: 40 (90 standing)
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £14 per bottle