- Telephone 0131 629 0626
- Opening times Mon–Sat 10am–6.30pm; Sun noon–6pm.
- Seasonal times Closing times vary. They'll stay open until 8 when busy especially during the Festival
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–6pm; Sat 9.30am–6pm; Sun noon–6pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.lovecrumbs.co.uk
A relaxed tea and coffee house near the Grassmarket; now doing savoury snacks as well as excellent, inventive cakes and biscuits
Lovecrumbs once called themselves a ‘cake-only cake shop’ but they recently added savoury items to their blackboard too, with excellent results. Toast and butter (it’s not just any old bread either, it’s from Andante in Morningside) gets jazzed up with simple but delicious ingredients; like peas, crushed garlic and seeds for £3.50. Grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon jam or pies from Archipelago Bakery in the New Town are other new snack options, on top of the regular cakes which first made the place a much-loved spot when they opened back in 2011. Rhubarb and rose cake, lemon torte, cinnamon shortbread, vegan beetroot cake and daily gluten-free options; it’s usually tough to choose. Tea lovers will appreciate the personal flask of hot water that comes with the loose leaves (violet petal or lemongrass and marigold are both great), or there are strong hot chocolates too (peppermint or rose and cardamon are particularly comforting on a dreich day.) Cushions on the window bench, pot plants and well-worn furniture and floorboards make the place feel relaxed, and a good spot for catching up with pals or emails. Check their Twitter for event updates too; they host occasional flea markets and floristry classes.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Hosts a variety of live events, Pyrus flowers wreath-making classes, occasional jazz performances. These are not regularly scheduled, but are advertised on their Facebook/ Twitter page.
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 0
- Open since: 2011