The Quay Restaurant
Not open to the public.
- Telephone 01674 672821
- Opening times Wed/Thu, Sun 11.30am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11.30am–1am. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Bar open Wed, Thu & Sun 11.30am–midnight, Fri/Sat 11.30am–1am
- Food served Wed–Sun noon–2pm, 6–8.45pm. Closed Mon/Tue
- Average price £14 (lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.thequaymontrose.co.uk
Mark Smith, a former pupil of Montrose Academy, trained and worked at the Michelen-starred Andrew Fairle restaurant at Gleneagles before opening The Quay with his wife Kerry. With a fantastic setting by the harbour, they have created an unmissable dining experience in Montrose. The restaurant is spacious and light with a contemporary feel, yet traditional table linen and place settings. Staff are friendly and willing although a degree of uncertainty about the food does not bring justice to the menu, which is brimming with locally sourced specialities. A daube of slow cooked beef shoulder is a firm favourite and a great amount of time is obviously given to the presentation of dishes such as the Gourdon smoked salmon starter. Traditional Scottish puddings such as cranachan feature on the menu along with a popular chocolate brownie.
- Private dining: The restaurant can be hired out, for wedding etc
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14 per bottle