Bustling Polwarth café serving an all-day brunch to locals and tourists.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Located in Polwarth, Piecebox is a cosy, bustling space with mismatched furniture and a shabby chic vibe. Catering to visitors staying in nearby B&Bs as well as a local crowd, the menu covers club sandwiches, soups, jacket potatoes, macaroni cheese, fajitas and burgers – but the focus here is very much on their all-day brunch. There are eggs in various guises, pancakes, French toast, breakfast rolls, porridge and full Scottish breakfasts. There’s also lots to choose from for vegetarians, such as a sweet potato and courgette fritter stack or Piecebox Light – toasted rye bread with poached eggs, chilli plum tomato, halloumi and sautéed greens. Freshly baked cakes and sweet treats include chunky slices of Victoria sponge or blueberry cake for that afternoon sugar hit.
- High point: Lots of brunch choices
- Low point: Overcooked eggs
- Notable dish: Blueberry cake
- Delivery: Minimum order size £25 plus VAT. Delivery is free within central Edinburgh.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: January 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £14 per bottle